DATES: 6/11/18 – 8/8/18
The Summer Intensive Language Program (SILP) provides beginning, intermediate, and some advanced-level language instruction in an intensive format to approximately 135 undergraduate students, graduate students, professionals, and lifelong language learners for eight weeks every summer. Under the supervision of the Language Coordinator and the SILP Associate Director, Language Instructors deliver lessons using a communicative, content-based approach and contribute to the day-to-day operations of the program. More information about SILP can be found at http://go.miis.edu/silp.
• Deliver up to four-and-a-half hours of language instruction per day, Monday through Friday
• Attend pre-program training workshops
• Participate in student orientation and placement, including evaluating placement tests
• Collaborate with the Language Coordinator, fellow instructors, and Tutors/Activity Guides to establish relevant co-curricular activities for students
• Help promote and participate in some co-curricular activities
• In consultation with the Language Coordinator, prepare a comprehensive course syllabus including course description, course goals and objectives, assessment guidelines, etc.
• Prepare daily lessons and provide instruction based on the principles of communicative language teaching, content-based instruction, and authentic materials use
• Work closely with tutors to assess student needs for support outside the classroom
• Provide peer support to other faculty members as necessary
• Keep track of student progress by regularly implementing appropriate formal and informal assessments
• Collaborate with Language Coordinator to develop midterm and final tests
• Keep Language Coordinator actively informed of student progress
• Attend weekly program faculty meetings
• Excellent teaching ability with a dedication to innovating/improving ability
• Excellent interpersonal communication skills
• Familiarity with communicative and content-based teaching practices and use of authentic materials
• Familiarity with ACTFL frameworks such as the Standards, the Proficiency Guidelines, and the Integrated Performance Assessment
• Willingness and ability to become acquainted and comply with SILP processes and regulations as well as Institute policies
• M.A. or Ph.D. in language, language teaching, or related field
• 2+ years of previous language teaching experience in the target language
• Native or near-native language ability
• Previous experience teaching in intensive program strongly preferred
• Previous experience with content- and/or project-based instruction strongly preferred
• Previous experience with ACTFL frameworks strongly preferred
The Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey maintains a smoke-free/drug-free workplace.
TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION:
Complete the online application and submit 1) a cover letter, 2) a CV/resume, and 3) a lesson plan (two pages maximum) that reflects your language teaching philosophy. Candidates who are selected for interviews may also be asked to provide a video of their teaching.
Apply here: https://middlebury.peopleadmin.com/postings/16211