Deadline: September 2, 2014
University of MichiganInternational Center is currently seeking applicants for an Education Abroad Coordinator
. The posting, along with application instructions can be found here:
Applicants must apply via the above website in order to be considered. The deadline for applications is .
EDUCATION ABROAD COORDINATOR (job opening ID 100383)
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position, and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The International Center’s Education Abroad Coordinator advises for--and manages peer-advising services for--a broad spectrum of education-abroad opportunities, including study, work, internships, volunteer and post-graduate opportunities abroad. The Education Abroad Coordinator also administers an international internship and service program, and develops presentations to inform U-M students about education-abroad opportunities. The position requires advanced knowledge of education-abroad opportunities; demonstrated ability to take initiative and work independently; excellent oral and written communication skills; excellent administrative, organizational and problem-solving skills; attention to detail; the ability to adapt to rapidly changing demands and priorities; and a commitment to excellent customer service. The Education Abroad Coordinator is an FLSA exempt position which reports to the Assistant Director for Education Abroad.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES/SPECIFIC DUTIES:
MANAGEMENT OF PEER ADVISOR PROGRAM
• Recruit, select, train, supervise and evaluate student employees and volunteer peer advisors.
• Develop and implement a program for initial and on-going training, ensuring that student employees increase their knowledge of the education abroad field to advise students best.
• Plan work assignments for student employees, track completion of assignments and tasks, and develop and implement procedures for tracking, evaluating and, if necessary, improving student employee performance.
PROGRAMS AND OUTREACH
• Plan, develop, schedule, conduct, and evaluate workshops to inform U-M students about education abroad opportunities.
• Guided by program evaluations, make changes to subjects or content of programs and workshops as needed.
• Establish and maintain annual schedule of all education abroad programs
• Perform periodic assessments to identify new needs and emerging issues in education abroad.
• Develop new programs, initiatives and resources based on results of these periodic assessments.
• Partner with Student Life units and other units across campus to increase programming for target audiences and to increase awareness of relevant programs and activities sponsored by other units.
• With International Career Pathways partners, plan and implement International Career Pathways fair and presentations.
• Utilize web-based database, M-Compass (Studio Abroad), to administer internship program and scholarship applications, as well as to track participant compliance with the University Travel Policy.
• Co-manage internship-abroad program, including application process, predeparture workshops, reflection while abroad and e-portfolios after return.
EDUCATION ABROAD ADVISING
• Advise U-M students and U-M community members who are considering a variety of education abroad experiences, including study, short or long term employment, internships, volunteer service, educational travel, etc.
• Help students learn about the variety of education abroad options, and help students determine which options might be best considering their individual goals.
• Provide information and referral to online and print resources and to other offices or organizations as appropriate.
• Provide information and basic advising on health and safety (including insurance) issues related to education abroad.
• Respond to a wide range of in-person and email questions from the U-M community about education abroad opportunities and options.
• Create materials and procedures to raise the visibility of international programs and make information and resources more accessible to the U-M community
• Work with the International Center’s Web Administrator to develop and make effective use of web-based tools or features to facilitate communication among students who have returned from education abroad activities and students planning an education abroad experience.
• Prepare education abroad announcements for distribution via Web site, social media and e-mail.
• Manage office social media accounts, including Twitter and Facebook.
EDUCATION ABROAD RESOURCES
• Establish schedule and procedure for review and updating of library materials, website content, and handouts so that these remain current, and so that information is available in a format that will make it as accessible as possible to the U-M community.
• Prepare or supervise preparation of updates for study, work and travel abroad sections of International Center website as needed.
• Develop or oversee development of new education abroad web content, printed materials, PowerPoint presentations, etc.
OTHER DUTIES AS ASSIGNED
• Participate in annual International Student/Scholar Orientation.
• Other duties as may be assigned by the Education Abroad Assistant Director or the IC management team
• Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of two years of experience in the area of education abroad
• Experience studying and/or working abroad (internship, service learning, volunteer, etc.)
• Experience presenting programs and/or teaching
• Ability to exercise initiative, independent judgment, tact and diplomacy
• Administrative, organizational, and problem solving skills, including excellent attention to detail and the ability to meet deadlines, and adapt to rapidly changing demands and priorities.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Ability to work with individuals and with teams.
• Experience with Microsoft Office Suite at an intermediate or better level, and experience with AV equipment (laptop, projector, etc.)
• Ability to work flexible hours including nights and weekends
• Master’s degree
• Experience in intercultural communication/education programming
• Experience living in another country for an extended period
• Experience advising on and coordinating programs for internships and service/volunteering abroad
• Familiarity with and appreciation of diverse cultures
• Background in assessment
• Staff training experience
• Experience coordinating programs in an academic setting, particularly in education abroad offices
• Knowledge regarding student development and related aspects of Student Life
ADDITIONAL INFORMATIONThe International Center provides a variety of services to assist international students, scholars, faculty and staff at the University of Michigan as well as to U.S. students seeking educational opportunities abroad. The International Center's Education Abroad Office assists students seeking opportunities to study, work, volunteer, or travel outside the United States. For more information about the International Center's Education Abroad Office and its services, see http://internationalcenter.
Assistant Director for Education Abroad
University of Michigan International Center
1500 Student Activities Building
515 E. Jefferson Street
Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-2181