Deadline: May 8, 2021
American Councils for International Education will offer a professional development program for teachers of Russian: “STARTALK Discover Teaching Russian: Come Learn with Us”
Program Dates: July 12– 28, 2021
Location: Due to current circumstances, this course will be offered online only
This standards-based course is designed to provide teachers of Russian an intensive two and a half-week professional development program that focuses on current pedagogical theory in the teaching and learning of Russian. Program participants will be introduced to the STARTALK Principles for Effective Teaching and Learning, the NCSSFL-ACTFL Can-Do Statements, and ACTFL Proficiency Guidelines. The ideal applicant is interested in learning up-to-date approaches to world language learning and teaching.
- Learn and explain key concepts in effective language learning;
- Develop assessments that target the three learning modes;
- Learn and review how technology can be integrated with lessons; and
- Have access to shared lessons created within the teacher program.
During the course, participants will apply new learning by:
- Identifying new concepts evident in lessons (both printed learning plans and recorded lessons);
- Analyzing teaching strategies; and
- Evaluating lessons and explaining key concepts.
Selected teachers will receive:
- Scholarship for full program tuition sponsored by the STARTALK program;
- A two-day MOPI (Modified Oral Proficiency Interview) training;
- A certificate of MOPI Participation from ACTFL;
- STARTALK Professional Development Certificate of Program Participation; and
- All participants have the option to receive 3 graduate credits at no additional cost.
A laptop or other electronic device is required for participation in the course. Participants will not be expected to purchase software or other materials to successfully complete the course.
Applications for 2021 are due by May 8, 2021, and are available at: tinyurl.com/
For additional information, please contact Nataliya Ushakova at email@example.com or (347) 267-9826.
*STARTALK is a project funded by the National Security Agency and administered by the National Foreign Language Center at the University of Maryland. STARTALK’s mission is to increase the number of U.S. citizens learning, speaking, and teaching critical-need foreign languages, with programs for students (K-16) and teachers.